Valentine’s Day is coming! That means playing with romantic reds and creating some fabulous tutorials that are sure to ignite your creativity! Today, as promised, I have created a fast and easy Valentine banner using DMC floss. This is a perfect project for all experience levels, fast, easy and romantic.
To get started all you need are a few supplies: DMC floss, needle, small paper bags, clothespins and buttons, that’s it.
-4 skeins of DMC Floss no.115
-3 skeins of DMC Floss no. 817
-Package of 4 in x 6 in paper bags, Recollections
-Package of small wood clothespins-red color
-5 Small rhinestone buttons
-Tools: embroidery needle, scissors, red color pencil
Directions to Make Banner:
- Spell out the word “Love” onto the paper bags using a red pencil. Draw one letter per bag.
- Punch tiny holes directly onto the drawn letters (this makes stitching fast and easy), about ½ centimeter per hole, using the embroidery needle.
- Thread embroidery needle with a strand of DMC no. 817 (don’t separate the main strand).
- Begin stitching through the punched holes with a backstitch. Do this stitch for all the letters on the banner. (See photos)
- Draw random hearts onto each stitched bag using a red pencil. Punch holes around the hearts using the embroidery needle. Fill in the drawn heart with a free form natural stitch onto the heart, starting from edge to edge, like a large running stitch (See photos).
- Unravel a skein of DMC floss no.115. Then refold a few times to form the banner roping. Then tie a knot 6 inches from each of the rope ends. Attach the stitched paper bags to the roping using the small wood clothes pins. Set aside.
- Thread embroidery needle with a strand of DMC floss, stitch rhinestone button and attach to the banner.
- Now your banner is ready is ready to hand on your favorite wall, door or entryway.
Directions to Make Tassels:
(You will need 1 full DMC floss skein for each tassel)
- Slide the labeling off each end of the skein.
- Cut an 8 inch piece of floss from the skein.
- Next fold the full skein in half.
- Pinch the folded part of the skein.
- Tie a knot around the pinched part of skein using the 8 inch piece of floss. Leave a ½ inch area.
- Finish wrapping the floss around the tassel form, tie additional knot.
- Cut open the other end of the floss. Tassel is complete.
The possibilities are endless with this project. You can spell out any love name, add more tassels and glam.
These tassels take less then 30 seconds to make. So fast and easy. Once you make one, you will be hooked.
Stay tuned for more inspiration this week.