Archive for the ‘valentines day projects’ Category
There is a new trend in heart making for Valentine’s Day. With just DMC embroidery floss, wire and glue, you can make trendy industrial wrapped love hearts. Turn them into a piece of wall art to jazz up your space. String them as a banner or decorate your Valentine’s Day table with some.
Your hearts will have a sweet yet industrial feel. They don’t have to be perfectly round or completely covered that’s the beauty of these hearts.
-Artistic wire, aluminum 10-14 gauge (or you can use a wire hanger)
-Tools: hot glue gun, pliers, scissors
- Bend wire into a heart shape, wrapping the ends together. This is the point of the heart shape (See photos).
- Unravel several skeins of DMC floss. Wrap one end of the gathered floss and tie a knot around the heart’s point, secure with some hot glue.
- Begin wrapping the gathered floss around various areas of the wire heart until you are satisfied with the coverage.
For gold tone heart I used: Natura N.43, Light Effects N.E436, Pearl Cotton N.956
For seer sucker pink heart I used: Floss N.963, N.3866, N.5282, N.304
For mixed color heart I used: Floss N.962, N.3787, Light Effects N.E168, Pearl Cotton N.956
-Use a wire hanger or jewelry wire.
-Thread your string with beads.
-Glue on rhinestones, sequins.
-Create various stitch designs.
I’ll share a few more versions soon. One named Brit Love inspired by the colors and essence of England with a touch of love.
Have a great day!
Valentine’s Day is coming! That means playing with romantic reds and creating some fabulous tutorials that are sure to ignite your creativity! Today, as promised, I have created a fast and easy Valentine banner using DMC floss. This is a perfect project for all experience levels, fast, easy and romantic.
To get started all you need are a few supplies: DMC floss, needle, small paper bags, clothespins and buttons, that’s it.
-4 skeins of DMC Floss no.115
-3 skeins of DMC Floss no. 817
-Package of 4 in x 6 in paper bags, Recollections
-Package of small wood clothespins-red color
-5 Small rhinestone buttons
-Tools: embroidery needle, scissors, red color pencil
Directions to Make Banner:
- Spell out the word “Love” onto the paper bags using a red pencil. Draw one letter per bag.
- Punch tiny holes directly onto the drawn letters (this makes stitching fast and easy), about ½ centimeter per hole, using the embroidery needle.
- Thread embroidery needle with a strand of DMC no. 817 (don’t separate the main strand).
- Begin stitching through the punched holes with a backstitch. Do this stitch for all the letters on the banner. (See photos)
- Draw random hearts onto each stitched bag using a red pencil. Punch holes around the hearts using the embroidery needle. Fill in the drawn heart with a free form natural stitch onto the heart, starting from edge to edge, like a large running stitch (See photos).
- Unravel a skein of DMC floss no.115. Then refold a few times to form the banner roping. Then tie a knot 6 inches from each of the rope ends. Attach the stitched paper bags to the roping using the small wood clothes pins. Set aside.
- Thread embroidery needle with a strand of DMC floss, stitch rhinestone button and attach to the banner.
- Now your banner is ready is ready to hand on your favorite wall, door or entryway.
Directions to Make Tassels:
(You will need 1 full DMC floss skein for each tassel)
- Slide the labeling off each end of the skein.
- Cut an 8 inch piece of floss from the skein.
- Next fold the full skein in half.
- Pinch the folded part of the skein.
- Tie a knot around the pinched part of skein using the 8 inch piece of floss. Leave a ½ inch area.
- Finish wrapping the floss around the tassel form, tie additional knot.
- Cut open the other end of the floss. Tassel is complete.
The possibilities are endless with this project. You can spell out any love name, add more tassels and glam.
These tassels take less then 30 seconds to make. So fast and easy. Once you make one, you will be hooked.
Stay tuned for more inspiration this week.
January is coming to a close, that can only mean one thing, Valentines Day! I love the romantic hues and patterns that Valentine’s Day brings. Over the next 2 weeks we will be embracing the essence of love and romance with creative projects and tutorials that are sure to ignite some romantic fireworks.
Today I’d like share some gorgeous heart silhouette projects that I found to get you in the mood. I just love this fabulous Valentines Day Coffee Cup Cozy by Feeling Stitchy. Who wouldn’t want to add more spice to their coffee or tea cup after seeing this fun project. Love it!
What about this Valentine Treat Bag also by Feeling Stitchy? A similar pattern with multiple possibilities. Make both, place the cozy into the bag with some candy for a great gift.
Over at Cat on a Limb, Catherine created this gorgeous piece, Tree Love. Over on her blog you can follow Catherine with her step by step instructions to make your own Tree Love Embroidery Piece. One word: Fabulous!
Canvas Heart Art over at Eighteen 25 is just so fun. I love how this project combines stretched art canvas and DMC threads. I could see a whole wall of these for Valentine’s Day or smaller ones as gifts. Visit Eighteen 25 to make your own.
Next week we will have some great Valentine’s Day tutorials on the blog, so excited!